24 March 2012

My new obsession...

Several months ago I took a chance on an ebay auction and won.  I had no idea if I could get this to work but I just knew I had to give it a try. 
With some great advice from a friend in the know (the lady I bought my first CSM from) Mr "D" and I took this piece of history apart and started to clean it.




It was quite an experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  We found brass rings under the surface rust, pretty shiny steel and remnants of gold stenciling.
We had no issues putting it back together because we took pictures of each step and of course Mr "D" knows machinery.
This is what we ended up with and "Winnie" is now purring like a well oiled sock machine.


I think these are my favorite parts, the patent dates.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow! I am impressed with your handiwork. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your new machine. Good luck.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Even if you weren't able to get her to work - she was still very pretty and cool to have!

Monika said...

That's totally awesome! It looks great cleaned! Who'd know that it's such a beauty, and functioning as well.

Knatolee said...

What an amazing piece of history and you did a beautiful job restoring it!

lexa said...

WOW! Is that ever nice! Well done!